Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Not finishing a novel

Being an avid reader ever since I was young and still am, I've always felt a sense of accomplishment whenever I finish reading the last words of a novel.

I loved reading The Famous Five series and Geronimo Stilton's stories and even to the more complex ones like Lord of the Rings Trilogy or Jane Eyre. Children's books were the greatest and reading was something I'd do every night before I go to bed...and still do.

Just recently, though, I was given this novel that I just could not finish. There was nothing about that novel that motivated me to finish it. It didn't reel me in after the first few chapters, as it would normally do. There was nothing exciting about it, nothing that made me crave the next page. It was a struggle to even finish a paragraph! I know it sounds rather mean, especially since the book has received numerous praises from various people and it even has a sequel! But my opinion says otherwise and I don't think it'll change. Maybe if I give it a few more years when I'm a little bit more mature and open-minded... but for now, it'll stay in the library and will not be touched by my hands for a very long time. Sorry dear friend who recommended it to me and loved it. I just couldn't do it.

So when I stood inside the library foyer with my book in hand, waiting for the kid in front of me to push her books through the return hole, I felt rather guilty. It was the first time I've ever felt a deep sense of not finishing something. Sure, I haven't finished many other things in the past, including some short stories I've started and now have rotted away somewhere in one of the folders in my USB, but the fact that I didn't finish that book gave me the chills.

I then told myself that I should always and I mean always finish a book, no matter what. It's just not right when you don't. I know I should and I will. For the moment, I'm reading Fallen by Lauren Kate and I'm enjoying it tremendously and for sure will not put it down until I've finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top The Dream Room. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.